I have been lobbying the Federal Government for over a year to do something to remediate the Commonwealth-owned hall on Newdegate Street, Greenslopes. But they just won't listen.
Please join me in calling on the government to deal with the site by signing the below letter, and sending it to my office by post or email.
Federal Labor welcomes the Palaszczuk Government’s announcement of an additional $133 million to respond to family and domestic violence.
I congratulate the Police Minister Mark Ryan and Minister for the Prevention of Domestic and Family Violence Di Farmer on the announcement of 24 new specialist Police officers across the state, to be backed with a $133 million commitment to assist victims and survivors.
The announcement of additional refuges is particularly welcome, as is the support for frontline services.
Overall the Palaszczuk Government is investing $328.9 million over six years from 2015-16 to implement the recommendations from the Not Now, Not Ever report.
Federal Labor has committed more than $130 million to respond to family violence. Labor’s commitments include:
- $88 million for a Safe Housing Fund to increase housing options for women and children escaping domestic and family violence;
- $43 million for legal assistance in family law proceedings to ensure victims of violence can’t be cross-examined by perpetrators;
- Providing a workplace right to ten days’ paid domestic violence leave;
- Making image-based abuse a crime, and criminalising the covert installation of surveillance apps;
- Reporting to the Parliament on progress addressing family violence as part of the annual gender equality update.
THURSDAY, 31 MAY