SUBJECTS; Infrastructure funding; Cross River Rail; M1
AUSTIN: Federal Opposition Leader Bill Shorten was in Brisbane city today, and he brought his chequebook. Mr Shorten says if he becomes prime minister of Australia, he’d chip in $2.24 billion to help pay for Cross River Rail. $800 million would go towards construction and a 50/50 split for running the line in the first two years. We asked Bill Shorten onto the program today. Sadly he was unavailable as was Queensland’s Treasurer Jackie Trad. Terri Butler is the federal Member for Griffith and the project, I think, would go through part of her electorate. She was at the announcement today. $2.24 billion is serious money, Terri Butler. Good afternoon.
BUTLER: It certainly is. Hi Steve, how are you?
AUSTIN: Very well.
BUTLER: It certainly is very serious money that Labor’s committing.Read more
Southsiders are being left behind and getting second class broadband services while Mr Turnbull enjoys 100 megabits per second (Mbps) at home, Terri Butler said.
“Less than half of the electorate of Griffith is connected to the NBN, and those who are connected are suffering with poor speeds and unreliable services,” Terri Butler said.
Malcolm Turnbull has been a long-term sceptic of the need for 100 Mbps speeds, yet answers given at Senate Estimates have revealed that he has taken out a 100 Mbps NBN plan himself.
“Malcolm Turnbull has one standard for himself and another for everyone else,” Terri Butler said.
“The government has stubbornly pushed ahead with the rollout of a second-rate NBN, which is slower and more expensive than Labor’s planned Fibre to the Premises.
“The announcement last week that the NBN would start rolling out Fibre to the Curb is an admission that the long-term economics of fibre are superior to those of Malcolm Turnbull’s copper and Hybrid Fibre Coaxial.
“While Labor welcomes the Fibre to the Curb announcement, I’m concerned that Southside locals are being left with an inferior broadband service.
“Reports out today that NBN complaints to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman increased by 204 per cent over 2017.
“I’m not surprised by these reports because my own office has received plenty of complaints about the lack of access to reliable, fast broadband locally.
“The Turnbull government has spent three years plodding around like a disinterested spectator.
“The NBN must be fixed, and Southsiders deserve services just as good and reliable as those in Point Piper,” Terri Butler said.
TUESDAY, 17 APRIL 2018
The Turnbull government must come clean about what it has done to remediate the Barracks site and respond to any contaminants found there, Terri Butler MP said.
“The Turnbull government has been evasive, unforthcoming with information, and unspecific about the remediation they have done,” Ms Butler said.
“What seems clear is that they've done remediation only for contamination "unique" to Defence, which suggests there may still be contaminants such as asbestos at the site,” she said.
“I wrote to the Minister about this issue on 9 April 2018, following up requests I had made for information dating back to 2015,” she said.
“It’s time for the Minister and the Turnbull government to tell locals and the market exactly what has been found at the site, what has been done to fix it, and what further remediation any purchaser will need to do,” she said.
In July 2015, an environmental investigation report was written, in relation to the Bulimba Barracks site.
Though the Turnbull government has not made that report public, claiming it contained “commercially sensitive information”, it has provided a synopsis of the report’s findings.
That synopsis included references to actual or potential contamination including leaking from underground tanks; hydrocarbon impact from the previous fuel storage point; solvents, degreasers and other caustic and alkaline solutions; elevated radiation levels in surface soil, and the presence of garnet; and asbestos-containing material.
By letter to Terri Butler MP, received 30 January 2017, the then Minister the Hon Dan Tehan MP said:
"Defence has undertaken some remediation work at the site following the preparation of the environmental report in July 2015. The contaminants that were identified on the site are not unusual for any typical metropolitan redevelopment site. Defence will ensure a prospective purchaser is aware of the report and the extent of the work that has been undertaken."
Ms Butler wrote back in March asking for a further update on the remediation work, asking for specifics.
By letter received on 3 May 2017, Mr Tehan wrote back and said:
"With regard to remediation works, stage one of the environmental investigation for Bulimba Barracks was conducted in July 2015. Defence has undertaken the recommended remediation work to address contaminants unique to Defence activities and will make relevant due diligence reports available to prospective buyers. The contaminants remaining at the site are not unusual for any typical metropolitan redevelopment site."
Ms Butler wrote back in May, asking for a timeline for the sale. Mr Tehan responded in June that Defence intended to list the site for sale "in late 2017".
In August 2017, following a committee hearing that had canvassed some of the issues of the site, Mr Tehan wrote to Ms Butler again. In that letter, he said:
"Defence will make available all relevant due diligence documents, including heritage and environmental assessments to potential purchasers."
Subsequent further correspondence was exchanged, but no further detail about the contamination or remediation has been forthcoming.
Ms Butler wrote to the now Minister on 9 April 2018 stating “I have seen no detail of the remediation work that has been undertaken. Nor have I seen any information about any second stage Environmental Investigation that may have occurred. Your predecessor undertook to me that “relevant due diligence reports” in this regard would be provided to prospective buyers. I’d be grateful if you would provide such reports, and an update about what has been done to remediate the site, at your earliest convenience.”
No reply has yet been received.
TUESDAY, 17 APRIL 2018