Eight Months After the Fanfare, Where's the Money, Minister Porter?

TERRI BUTLER MP

SHADOW ASSISTANT MINISTER FOR PREVENTING FAMILY VIOLENCE

SHADOW ASSISTANT MINISTER FOR UNIVERSITIES

SHADOW ASSISTANT MINISTER FOR EQUALITY

MEMBER FOR GRIFFITH

 

EIGHT MONTHS AFTER THE FANFARE, WHERES THE MONEY, MINISTER PORTER?

 

Minister Porter has confirmed that after almost eight months, none of the $20 million the Turnbull government allocated for family violence prevention and early intervention programs has been spent.

 

The government announced the commitment on 28 October last year - almost eight months ago.

 

Shadow Assistant Minister for Preventing Family Violence Terri Butler MP asked the Minister about the funding "commitment" during consideration of the Budget today.

 

"Minister Porter was long on excuses but short on delivery, as always," Ms Butler said.

 

"This funding is important. It was intended to be spent on a national workforce agenda, education and resources for new fathers, new ways of working with men with complex needs, resources for women and girls, and other measures."

 

Last year, under questioning, the Minister admitted only 1.5 per cent of a $12 million family violence measure announced back in 2015 had been spent in the year that had passed since.

 

"Today's admission that 0 per cent of this newer $20 million announcement had been spent in eight months is even worse.

 

"It is not enough to make announcements about family violence. Delivery is what counts." Ms Butler said.

 

WEDNESDAY, 14 JUNE 2017

Be the first to comment

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.

Volunteer

connect

get updates