Newman Government admits cultural precinct plan consultation period inadequate

The Newman Government has agreed to accept “late” submissions about the Cultural Precinct
draft master plan, in a tacit admission that the consultation period is too
short, Member for Griffith Terri Butler MP said.

MEDIA RELEASE

TUESDAY, 13 MAY 2014

NEWMAN GOVERNMENT ADMITS CULTURAL PRECINCT PLAN CONSULTATION PERIOD INADEQUATE

The Newman Government has agreed to accept “late” submissions about the Cultural Precinct draft master plan, in a tacit admission that the consultation period is too short, Member for Griffith Terri Butler MP said.

“The draft master plan will affect the face of South Brisbane for years to come, and locals deserve a say,” Ms Butler said.

“Last week my State colleague, South Brisbane MP, Jackie Trad publicly called for an extension to the consultation period, which runs only from 5 May to 30 May.

“I agreed that such a short period wouldn’t allow people a meaningful say, so I wrote to the Queensland Arts Minister seeking that it be extended.

The Minister has now responded in a letter, stating “In relation to the extension of the consultation period, I have asked my department to accept any late submissions post the closing date to enable all views to be considered.

“This is a tacit admission that the consultation period is too short,” Ms Butler said.

The Minister’s letter doesn’t say how long after the formal period submissions will be considered.

“This commitment to accept “late” submissions shows what a farce this so-called consultation process is,” Ms Butler said.

“There are radical changes proposed in the draft Plan but the government’s done very little to let local residents and businesses know about the changes, let alone to help people have a say.

“It’s important that people know about the commitment that the Minister has now given, as the consultation website has not been updated to state that “late” submissions will be accepted,” Ms Butler said.

Ms Butler and Ms Trad, together with Cr Helen Abrahams, Councillor for The Gabba Ward, will be working with locals to raise awareness about the plan.

ends

TUESDAY, 13 MAY 2014

MEDIA CONTACT   ANGUS SUTHERLAND:  0433 295 099

Be the first to comment

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.

Volunteer

connect

get updates