The Treasurer Scott Morrison must drop all of the Turnbull Government’s unfair zombie cuts in next Tuesday’s budget - no ifs, buts or maybes.
The Turnbull Government has seven days to drop all of its unfair zombie cuts to new mums, pensioners, people with disability and young Australians, including:
- Cuts to Paid Parental Leave –70,000 new mums will be worse off.
- Scrapping the Energy Supplement – a $1 billion cut to pensioners, people with disability, carers and Newstart recipients.
- Increasing the Pension Age to 70 – the oldest pension age in the developed world.
- Five week wait for Newstart – forcing young people to live off nothing for five weeks before they can access income support.
- Cuts to young people between the ages of 22 and 24 by pushing them off Newstart onto the lower Youth Allowance – a cut of around $48 a week or almost $2,500 a year.
- Scrapping the Pensioner Education Supplement and Education Entry Payment.
- Cutting the pension to pensioners born overseas who spend more than six weeks overseas.
Recent polling in The Australian has shown that the overwhelming majority of Australians reject the Turnbull Government’s unfair cuts to our social security system.
In November 2015, Mr Turnbull said:
"I think for Australians, fair means the burden of tax is borne by the best able to pay it. It's a question of judgment.”
MALCOLM TURNBULL, SPEECH, 5 NOVEMBER 2015
By Mr Turnbull’s own standards he can’t give a massive tax cut to millionaires in the 2017 Budget and continue with these unfair cuts to new mums, pensioners, people with disability and young Australians.
If Mr Turnbull abolishes the deficit levy in the 2017 Budget it will mean a tax cut for a millionaire of $16,400 a year or $315 a week.
At the same time Mr Turnbull wants to rip $365 a year from new pensioners by scrapping the Energy Supplement.
Mr Turnbull has one week to show that he’s listening to ordinary Australians by dropping his unfair zombie cuts once and for all.
Labor will continue to stand up for vulnerable Australians against the Liberals' unfair zombie cuts.
- Hon Jenny Macklin MP